One thing after I gave birth and had got through the 1st couple of weeks is that I was shocked at how many people had lied to me, my best friends!!! About how perfect having a child was and how my life was going to be amazing, yay I thought, let’s get this amazingness on the go. Had they forgotten or were they protecting me? Well from that day on I became a code breaker.
When you are having your 1st child you are feeling so nervous and you gather information from every source possible, so you would think your best friends would tell you how it is but NO!
The code vs The truth
– Lie about giving birth or not lying, it can be harsh but they will hate you after for not telling them.
– Lie about sleeping or lack of or tell people how it is, at least they can prepare themselves.
– Lie about breastfeeding being easy or tell people it is really hard and it’s not for everyone and that’s ok!
– Lie about losing all baby weight after giving birth or tell people this does not happen, stop piling in the cakes (I thought all baby weight would come off and clearly it did not even though my mum told me so many times I didn’t listen!).
– Lie about that your life gets back to normal or just accept this will never happen and enjoy the times being a parent and enjoy the times you have off (has taken 2 years for me realise this).
– Lie about how amazing everything is or don’t lie, everyone knows you are lying, no one likes no sleep and constant worry (unless you have a child that sleeps then never mention this to other parents with babies, they will hate you and I mean hate, sleep deprivation can send you crazy)
– Lie that you totally know what you are doing or just admit you don’t have a masters in parenting, no one has, nothing is black & white everything is a grey area.
My only piece of advice make sure you prep up (using any resources) about actually looking after a baby, I didn’t I just focused on being pregnant and birth and got quite a shock!